Thursday 28 May 2009

Road Trip: Washington (the city not the state)

I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but...

There is something a bit surreal about visiting a city you're currently reading about. In a book. Fiction. I've never read James Patterson before now. I've seen both Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider, and like them but not enough to push me over the edge and actually buy one of Patterson's books. And then, randomly, I saw a copy of Jack and Jill lying around and picked it up. It's set in DC, I was going to DC. I took it as a sign.

I might have waited for another, better sign. But I'm now resigned to finish the book. It's not that the story isn't interesting, it doesn't lack for intrigue. I just wish there was more of it. Anyway, I'm reading it now and in DC now and I walked by a hotel mentioned in the book. I saw it and thought, "oh hey, there's that hotel mentioned in the book."

We're not in summer school anymore.

Part of the story takes place inside the White House, but I'm not allowed in there.

I'm also a big NCIS fan. I know it's not actually filmed in DC, but it's fun to pretend. I could run into McGee any minute now. I probably wouldn't recognize him even if I did. As I've said at least twice on TheAvod, I'm bad at noticing who or what's going on around me.

A good part of Jack and Jill is set in a neighbourhood called Southeast, which, if the book is anything to go by, should be avoided. So my James Patterson tour of DC is restricted to museums and the zoo. I'm not yet finished the book but I'm sure Alex Cross ends up in at least one of those places by the end.

My next trip: adventures in the London Underground.

No comments: