Monday 22 September 2008

Project: Insanity Plea Part 1 - The Set Up

Someone once told me they knew somebody who had this theory John Carpenter's descent into madness can be tracked through his movies. In fact, he said you can pinpoint the exact moment when he sheds the mantel of reality under which he's been languishing, and fully embraces bat-shit craziness.

Problem is, I can't remember when that was. So I have taken it upon myself to find out. Using all my skills as an archaeologist with a film degree, I will dig through the artefacts of the man's creative output and find the moment that represents Carpenter's divorce from logic and rationality. Beginning with Assault on Precinct 13, I will watch, in chronological order, all films made between 1976 and 2008.

Will I go crazy in the process, abandoning all reason and succumbing to the overwhelming power of the man's illogical rhetoric?

Who's watching who?

No comments: